Thursday

Soaking Summer and Crackers

I'm sure it'll be a surprise to no one when I say that it's summer. So, how did my brilliant mind come to that conclusion? Well, I didn't find out by looking out my window. The dark clouds loom in the horizon and a cold, vile wind rattles the tall trees surrounding my house all the while the sound of rumbling thunder echoes from the distance.
I found out when I reached for that beautiful red strawberry in the bowl in front of me. It was perfectly sweet and intense in it's flavour and more importantly; it was a Danish strawberry. Now, I'm not nationalist but I do admit that we in Denmark have been blessed with extraordinary strawberries. Having that perfect sweetness on my tongue I of course jumped out of my seat to make a strawberry tart. But more of that another time.

As I then took a sip of my hot thunder choc from my ever cool ninja turtles mug, I felt more in the mood for something.. less demanding.
And so I went searching through my mum's recipe binder for something neat and simple. That's when I fell over a recipe for some crackers. I realized that those crackers were everything I needed.

 
Mum's Crackers
 
I've never been particularly fond of crackers but these truly stole my heart. They have a delicious warmth to them.
 
1 dl oatmeal
1 dl sesame seeds
1 dl flaxseed
1 dl sunflower seeds
1 dl pumpkin seeds
3½ dl all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1-2 dl water
½-1 dl olive oil

Start by mixing all the dry ingredients together in a rather large bowl, then add water and olive oil - start with minimum amount. Knead till it all comes together (about 5 minutes), you may need to add more water or oil.
Roll out half of the dough to a rectangle (about 3 mm thick) and cut 4x5 cm rhombs. Do the same with the other half. Place the rhombs on a baking sheet (you'll probably need more than one) with about a cm between them, however, less air between the crackers will do just fine too.
Bake in a preheated oven at 200C for 15-20 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment